Monday 10 August 2009

Dolly laiking

I’ve had a lovely weekend of dolly laiking.

I don’t know whether ‘dolly laiking’ is an old saying confined to Yorkshire and although I am able to use it in context I wasn’t 100% sure what it meant.
I googled it and couldn’t find ‘dolly laiking’ but could find ‘laiking’ which means playing or messing about.
‘Dolly’ might comes from the pole with that the washing was done with (in a dolly tub) but I can’t for the life of me imagine how ‘washing’ and ‘playing’ could ever have been used in the same sentence!
It could mean as simple as meaning ‘playing with a dollies’ and if so, that definitely sums up my weekend.



A friend - who gets married next weekend - asked me to make some dolls for her bridesmaids and page boy. I have made the occasional softie but I have never made dolls before and was more than happy to have a go, if a bit nervous.

The best word to sum up my experience of making them is: FIDDLY. Fiddly with big fat capital letters! The jury is still out as to whether I’ll make more but they’ve now gone to my friend - who was really thrilled with them - and will be going to their new homes on Saturday!



Oh and thank you everyone for your lovely comments on the doll quilt. I’m hoping to find some time in the next week or so to tackle the quilting!!