Tuesday 4 May 2010

...and breathhhhhhh...

As you will already know, Fat Quarterly launched on the 27th April and we have been astounded and thrilled with just how wonderfully it has been received. Thank you to all of you from the bottom of our hearts!!

None of us are world renowned quilters nor do we think by any stretch of the imagination that we are experts. We are just normal gals and guy trying to make pretty things and to share how we go about it. Your comments – good are bad – are really valuable so if have any comments or suggestions just nip over to the website or the Flickr page and let us know what you think.

I have been snatching some time here and there and have got more to show you than i thought but i haven’t snapped any pics of some things so you’ll have to make do with what i was up to this weekend!





The deadline for the Urban Home Goods swap is looming so i dedicated this weekend to that. I had cut out everything i needed for it but for the last month it’s been pinned to the Moroccan rug wall hung on the wall in the hallway. Again i was given a partner with a very different style to me that really pushed me out of my comfort zone. After the initial obligatory “whatma-gonna-do” panic, i Googled ‘plant shapes’ and ‘organic shapes’ and found some inspiration almost immediately. No dithering for a change.

So, this weekend I’ve been quilting....and quilting....and quilting. Quilting the stem and around the circles in brown, and then little swirls all over the background. I couldn’t stop running my hands over it as dense quilting feels soooo cool!!



I believe that sewing machines are like hunting animals – they sense your free motion quilting fear!! I find that the more confidently i approach it more successful the outcome.

Many of the tips i have found on the web suggest going very slowly. This doesn’t work for me as i find it more difficult to get my ‘groove’ and my shapes end up looking a bit jerky. So, I just set the machine to a medium speed, took a deep breath, and dived in head first!

I hope my partner likes her table runner/wall hanging. I think she might but i can’t tell you why or that will give the game away :-)

By the way....my friend Melanie has just made the big leap into blogland. She hasn't been sewing very long but judging by her productivity she's well and truly hooked! I'm sure she'd love it if you popped by and said 'Hi'.